The health insurance system in the US is certainly not the best, but benefits can be cheap and good for workers.
Health insurance – there is a lot of speculation and sometimes one thinks that there is probably no insurance coverage in the US and you are immediately impoverished.
Of course, the US also has a health insurance and this is also affordable … if you have a job. However, and that makes it difficult, there is a tariff jungle and also an almost unmanageable provider variety, so you need a lot of time, friends and colleagues who already have insurance and can give advice. Which performance you get for which amount and with which provider, is also a small science, because negative pages are of course veiled and it is only the positive sides of the insurance outlined. But … that’s what all the insurance companies in the world have in common and it’s not a phenomenon typical only to the USA.
How to choose health insurance in the United States
Whether local or international, the choice of health insurance is based on the needs , but also the budget because they remain expensive. All insurances are not equal and it is imperative to compare the rates of companies, ask for quotes (free) to study carefully what is covered and what is not. In any case, whatever your coverage, you will certainly have a minimum to pay.
There are obviously different types of contracts that offer more or less extensive coverage. To choose the right health insurance, you have to take into account several criteria such as the limits of cover, the deductibles or the level of care for each health care type.
Attention: if you also want to be insured for dental or visual expenses, you must take additional insurance. Indeed, the health insurance does not cover the dental care or those related to the vision (consultation or optics for example).
With US insurance, it is necessary to assimilate well the local jargon … Here are some definitions to help you there:
- Co-Pay: the sum remaining due after the assumption of your insurance
- Out of pocket maximum: the maximum ceiling that you will have to pay from your pocket
- Deductible: the franchise, that is, the amount from which your insurance begins to pay back
- Coverage & Exclusions: the list of risks covered and not covered by the insurance,
- Network: the network of health professionals
- Out -of-network: Physicians outside the network
- Out-of-network coverage: Coverage of insurance when visiting an off-network practitioner (case of PPO)
- Pre-existing conditions: if the diagnosis of a disease is prior to the signing of an insurance contract, insurance to the right to refuse health coverage. But it can not, however, break an existing insurance contract.
The rates for health insurance are very different from one person to another because they are calculated according to the family situation, sex, age, income or the network of providers that you can access as Clearer. In addition, in the case of US insurance, prices may also vary depending on the state where you reside, the medical cost in Arizona is not the same as in New York.
Or should you take out personal coverage health insurance?
Given the complexity of health insurance, it is essential to use a specialist to find the contract best suited to your profile and your budget. Like most insurance, it can be purchased from a broker or directly from an insurance company. Contrary to what one might think, going through a broker does not cost more than directly by a company, because the broker is not paid by the client, but by the insurer. In any case, the best is to call a specialist who can explain (in your language of choice) all the products at your disposal.